7 Things You Never Knew About Chicago's Own Billy Zane
April 21, 2014 | by cynthia correa | Talk of the Town
Billy Zane, who stars as Captain von Trapp in the Lyric Opera’s production of The Sound of Music (April 25-May 25), may be famous for his acting roles in Titanic, Zoolander, and The Phantom, but here are a few things you didn’t know about the Chicago native.
Chicago native Billy Zane at Global Green USA's 11th Annual Pre-Oscar Party earlier this year.
1. He celebrated winning Men’s Journal’s “Chicago Man of the Year” award in 2013 by watching the live showing of The Sound of Music on NBC right after the ceremony.
2. Zane has been an avid painter for the past 15 years, finding solace in expressing himself through art while on film locations.
3. He had eight pieces of art on display for the Rosenbaum Gallery at Art Basel Miami.
4. Zane feels there's “no more indelible horizon than Lake Michigan” and says the views of the lake inspired him to paint.
5. He loves to cook, especially Mediterranean-style dishes inspired by his Greek roots.
6. His publicist, Michelle, is related to the von Trapp family through a direct cousin.
7. Zane thinks that he shares “a very wicked sense of humor” with his character, Captain von Trapp.
PHOTOGRAPHY BY FREDERICK M. BROWN/GETTY IMAGES ENTERTAINMENT
Michigan Avenue celebrated spring 2015 cover star Bob Odenkirk with a 200-guest bash at Vertigo Sky Lounge at the dana hotel and spa on February 16, 2015.